Parish Mission in OLPH Church German Town: 2011

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is a catholic church located in Memphis, USA at poplar German town road. The pastor of the church is Rev. Monsignor. Edwin Creary, who is an authentical example of a catholic pastor. For the last nine years I am fortunate to reside in this parish. In the world view, for an immigrant to Memphis, the name of Memphis may sound very simple or even unknown, or unheard among the united states cities. Particularly, the catholic faith in united states may not be a common attraction for the world outside united states. But any catholic faithful will realize and understand how faithful the united states Catholics are and how authentic they are in their observances of catholic tradition. Among all the qualities of my brother America ( this is my view of America), I admire and love the catholic tradition and qualities of Catholic citizens he( America) has.How majestic his observances of catholic faith among all the heights he has reached and leading the world in every diction of his charisma and quality. People who come to united states will never hunger for spiritual nourishment, America has much to offer to the world through it's faith particularly through catholic faith. The faithful within the catholic church are authentic in their believes. There are many catholic families live a liturgical life all around the year in Memphis. I know a family, who attends daily 6.15 am mass in one of the catholic churches in Memphis, the couple bring all their children including including hand carried baby without fail. I admire that family and reflect what a great way to lead a family. What a catholic discipline this family portray to the world. It is in Memphis I came to understand the entire liturgical year and details. Thus when I came first realized that I will not lack the spiritual nourishment, which I consider above all the materials I could achieve.

My childhood instruction from my father was to seek the church and parish soon after enter in to a new place or city. He also instructed me to attend a mass in every new place I visited, if the time permitted or minimum visitation of tabernacle. I follow this instruction, even when I go to other cities for professional conferences. From that traditional instruction, I found my parish in this church, when first arrived to united states. This church is named after Our lady of Perpetual Help, who is the mother of God. Every year Monsignor arranges the parish mission before every lent season. It is a common practice of catholic church in united states.

This year parish mission was conducted by a visiting priest, Fr. Richard. His talks were centered on the church sacraments naming, baptism, confirmation, and reconciliation. A quiet soft voiced, highly articulatory, assertive faith sermons were delivered by the priest penetrated the faithful's hearts. He not only preached but also guided the faithfuls in the demonstration of each sacrament with meaningful meditation. First day mission guided reflection on baptism. Second day mission reflected on reconciliation, this day brought an experience of peace filled heavenly presence among us. Third day Fr. Richard and Monsgr. Creary conducted anointing ceremony, which brought forth the healing in body, mind, and soul. Totally, last week was a spiritual week.

I thank God for my parish, for the priests, and our catholic church in Memphis and in America.

Disclaimer: I am not a daily communicant, I consider whoever is able to do that is a saint on earth. I wish I could. I attend morning mass, when ever I begin a new project or whenever I need healing, or when I think I have to make an impression on God towards my immediate needs. By the way a good confession and a morning mass combined is powerful to bring forth inner healing. My husband is a daily communicant for last 20 years. My observation and notes included here are from when ever I went to church for mass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Lady of Snow: Tuticorin: Golden Car Festival August 5th, 2013

Velankanni Matha Novena for nine days: Day 2

Our Lady of Velankanni Novena : Day 3