Ave Maria! Our Lady of Velankanni Pray for us!


As my heavenly mother's birthday is approaching, as I am thinking of giving her a gift, what shall I do? How would I express my admiration to her? How would I show my love to her? What shall I write about Mother Mary? Among the millions of radiant virtues she portrays through her call, life, and her continued apostolic  ministry, which one I shall highlight through my unworthy pen? She was so natural, simple hand maid of God yet, she became the mother of God by her call, which is supernatural, which one of her call I shall choose to write about? She was immaculate, she was radiant, she was a mother, she was a wife, she was a daughter, she was a friend, and she was perfect in all her roles. Among those roles, which role I shall highlight through my limited understanding? She was frightened, she was doubtful, she was obedient, she was brave, and she was faithful in fulfilling her special call. How would I decorate her through my unskilled writing? I am unworthy to write about her, yet, she is my heavenly mother, who was given to me and to all humanity by Jesus Christ at the Cross. She adopted me in the midst of her Son's agony, which is her eternal call, which she continues faithfully till today and to the times to come towards all ages. With this understanding, as I admire my heavenly mother's bravery, I could pen an appreciation on her bravery.

Mary the mother of God was very brave in accepting and living the call she was entrusted to. There is no word can describe or no language can fathom the faith based bravery she portrayed in her life. She was timid, innocent, and frightened in the natural realm, when  Angel Gabriel appeared to her with the salvation good news. Naturally Mary was very frightened by the appearance of Angel and the message she received. She was troubled in her heart by many natural consequences of the call. However, how did she overcome her fear and doubts?
There lies her faith and bravery. The perfect gift of Holy Spirit by which she lived her call and life.


Luke Chapter 1
"In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth,
27 to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the House of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
28 He went in and said to her, 'Rejoice, you who enjoy God's favour! The Lord is with you.'
29 She was deeply disturbed by these words and asked herself what this greeting could mean,
30 but the angel said to her, 'Mary, do not be afraid; you have won God's favour.
31 Look! You are to conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you must name him Jesus."
We can vividly understand the fear that Mary expressed at Gabriel's appearance and message. Imagine the context of Mary's natural background. Think about the culture in which Mary is born. Understand she is still a adolescent girl who has no clue of this world. She is innocent and her family follows the faith standard of life. Only daughter of a reputed couple in a small village, where every one knows each other. She lived in a culture where communal norms presided over the individual life, rights, or privacy. The culture in which she lived had prescriptive standards of life and the penalties and punishments were very punitive for those who do not conform to the standards. For example, a girl who conceived with out marriage can be killed by stoning, which was the legal norm of that culture in her time. Every girl living in that culture knows this fact thoroughly well. Knowing this, imagine how it must have been for Mary to hear the Good news of Virgin conception. She was frightened for her life, she was frightened for her name, she was frightened for her family name, she was frightened for her engaged would be husband Joseph's name as well. These were very legitimate fear of a girl, who belong to that time of culture, who was raised in God's fear, and who cared for faithful life. Mary was immaculate as she was she was very fearful of that message. She was troubled by that message. While she appeared fearful, Angel Gabriel consoled her further by giving the details of the call and he even give a sign for her to understand and confirm her call. 
Another, very important context should be taken into consideration to understand the enormous consequences of Mary's call, is that  Mary was engaged to Joseph, when she was visited by Angel Gabriel. In this context, if Joseph came to know, he has a right to divorce Mary, when she w ill be humiliated by the public and they even may kill her by their law. Another aspect to this is that, if any engaged wedding is halted, then the girl may not find another respectable proposal in that culture, which may be a natural doom for the girl's life.  From these probable imminent and impending natural consequences of her call she questions the Angel. She was brave to explain her situation and she was brave enough to portray her individual life of faith.
"32 He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him thethrone of his ancestor David;
33 he will rule over the House of Jacob for ever and his reign will have no end.'"
Now, even after the explanation of the nature of call by Gabriel, Mary looked very puzzled, which can be seen in her question. She posed a natural question, which speaks of her immaculate virginity, innocence, and human humbleness. It also portrays that, she is not ready to give away herself for any reason, if not for God,  which is the reflection of faith and bravery. Knowing that the messenger is an angel, she was very brave to ask this question. She maintained herself very clear to the Angel, by clarifying her status to him. Now, something strange about Angel Gabriel, he dealt Mary with kindness, when he was questioned back. Whereas, he was not so kind to Zachariah, when he asked him a similar question.  It is interesting to note that, it looks like, Angel Gabriel understood Mary's condition, situation, and her call of life. He also must have understood the legitimacy of the question from this little immaculate girl. 
"34 Mary said to the angel, 'But how can this come about, since I have no knowledge of man?'"


I really like her question. This question and the response of Angel to her question inspire me and encourage me to know, our God is a compassionate God, He listens to our questions and even He shows signs to confirm His call if it is from Him.
"35 The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will cover you with its shadow. And so the child will be holy and will be called Son of God.
36 And I tell you this too: your cousin Elizabeth also, in her old age, has conceived a son, and she whom people called barren is now in her sixth month,
37 for nothing is impossible to God.'"
Listening the above message, Mary subjected herself to God"s will with servant attitude. She was very courageous at that moment in accepting her call. Her courage came from the Holy Spirit's gift of her obedience to God's will. Her courage came from the faith that she had in God's power. She believed nothing is impossible to God. She also believed that one who called me will lead me through. She was ready to undergo anything that may evolve from here on. She placed herself as a servant in God's hand, saying:
38 Mary said, 'You see before you the Lord's servant, let it happen to me as you have said.' And the angel left her."
From this, I know my heavenly mother is very brave and courageous. I salute her bravery.
Following is a reflective poem written as if an interview with Mary on the topic.


Then I turned to Virgin Mary
To inquire her bravery
In the faith she lived
In carrying the incarnated word
Virgin Mary in speaking
Reflecting and recounting:
The moment of annunciation
In vivid recall in experience
I was innocent knew not the world
Knew not any man
Happy child I was
God fearing Child I was
At the angel announcement
Startled I was to the shock
Millions of questions haunted my thoughts
Multitudes of doubts wandered in my mind
Above all societal rejection thoughts
Sent trailers of humiliation
Stoning destinations
Shaming punishments of that time
Went as a clear picture in front of my eyes
Thinking of parents and engaged Joseph
Frightened my heart
Sending nightmares in my life
Stormy life I tread
At that moment
In that moment
Only thing crossed my mind
I knew my God
The God I love and serve
I knew His mercy
I knew my God would
Never let me down
As He knew my heart’s desire
Even if I have to die in humiliation
His name will be glorified
In this faith
I said Amen I am your servant
There I saw He put His angels
In charge of me

Source † Creative Life: A Contemplation: By Annapoorna Mary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Lady of Snow: Tuticorin: Golden Car Festival August 5th, 2013

Velankanni Matha Novena for nine days: Day 2

Our Lady of Velankanni Novena : Day 3