"Come after me": Family life is a discipleship life: Nativity Mystery

 I continue to reflect upon the family's discipleship life in the context of Nativity mystery. I extend my thoughts into the first miracle of Jesus. Disciple is a person who follows Jesus. Here I view the family unit as a disciple of Jesus, because in Holy Matrimony, by the power of the Holy Spirit, the couple is united with Holy Matrimony and the couple transform into one body, mind, spirit, and soul. In Holy Matrimony, family becomes the disciple of Jesus, as in mystical status and in the secular status, two bodies become one, two souls unite as one, two hearts join as one, two minds join in determination to function as one, and two systems of families come in union as one family.

Let us dwell in the first miracle little more time. Jesus performed many miracles when He walked this earth. But the first miracle was performed towards the joy of the family. I question myself, is it because the first family's sin corrupted the humanity and nature, now the Son of God begins His healing ministry from the family that too He begins from the wedding? I am captivated by the beauty of God's will and in His miracle. I am encouraged to think, God is willing to do the same miracle in each one our family even today. Lack of wine in the cannan wedding may represent all our inadequacies and weaknesses in our families today. The same Jesus who performed His first miracle in fulfilling the wedding at Cannan may fulfill all our intercessions for our families. I am moved to think that God came down from heaven as a human baby at the manger, to dwell among our families. What a great miracle I witness at the manger, when I reflect the nativity. What a great example Jesus, the Son of God, in His nativity portrays, as He has come down leaving the heavenly throne to live among us, to redeem us and to be with us. I question myself, are we to follow His example of emptying our vanities and ego and surrender to one another, as Infant Jesus did, within our families? Is this self denial and humility transform the water like nature love into the wine like heavenly love?

It is so beautiful and logical to realize Jesus powerful ministry in His first miracle. I question, how many of us let Jesus do His miracle in our marriages and in our children marriages? How many of us, promote the children to approach the marriage in the form of Holy Matrimony, the Sacrament? How many of us take courage to live the marital vows?  How many of us become an example to our own children through our gifts and fruits through our marital life?

I am so assured to know that resurrected Jesus is among us within our families. He is ready to perform His first miracle into our families again and again to the end of the world. Are we ready to open our doors for Jesus? Are we courageous enough to follow Him in living our marital vows? In weaknesses, in struggles, in our inadequacies, are we humble enough to surrender to the will of god and to each other, than to our selfish agenda and motives? So many questions comes to my mind as I reflect this holy mystery.

Let us pray for faithfulness among families.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Lady of Snow: Tuticorin: Golden Car Festival August 5th, 2013

Velankanni Matha Novena for nine days: Day 2

Our Lady of Velankanni Novena: Day 1